.Introduction to Logic, 14th Edition. Routledge.
Translate the following syllogistic arguments into standard form, and test their validity by using the syllogistic rules set forth in Chapter 6.
Some preachers are persons of unfailing vigor. No preachers are nonintellectuals. Therefore some intellectuals are persons of unfailing vigor.
This argument may be translated into: Some preachers are persons of unfailing vigor. (Some P is V.) All preachers are intellectuals. (By obversion: All P is I.) Therefore some intellectuals are persons of unfailing vigor. (Some I is V.) Explain whether the syllogism is valid using the 6 rules (6.4) and mood (6.5).
2. Some metals are rare and costly substances, but no welders materials are nonmetals; hence some welders materials are rare and costly substances.
3. Some Asian nations were nonbelligerents, because all belligerents were allies either of Germany or Britain, and some Asian nations were not allies of either Germany or Britain.
4. Some nondrinkers are athletes, because no drinkers are persons in perfect physical condition, and some people in perfect physical condition are not nonathletes.
5. All things inflammable are unsafe things, so all things that are safe are nonexplosives, because all explosives are flammable things.
6. All worldly goods are changeable things, for no worldly goods are things immaterial, and no material things are unchangeable things.
7. All those who are neither members nor guests of members are those who are excluded; therefore no nonconformists are either members or guests of members, for all those who are included are conformists.
8. All mortals are imperfect beings, and no humans are immortals, whence it follows that all perfect beings are nonhumans.
9. All things present are nonirritants; therefore no irritants are invisible objects, because all visible objects are absent things.
10. All useful things are objects no more than six feet long, because all difficult things to store are useless things, and no objects over six feet long are easy things to store.
Translate the following into :
Roses are fragrant.
: All roses are fragrant things.
2. Orchids are not fragrant.
3. Many a person has lived to regret a misspent youth.
4. Not everyone worth meeting is worth having as a friend.
5. If its a Junko, its the best that money can buy.
6. If it isnt a real beer, it isnt a Bud.
7. Nothing is both safe and exciting.
8. Only brave people have ever won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
9. Good counselors are not universally appreciated.
10. He sees not his shadow who faces the sun.
A. Translate the following propositions into standard form, using parameters where necessary.
He groans whenever he is reminded of his loss.
Standard-form translation: All times when he is reminded of his loss are times when he groans.
2. She never drives her car to work.
3. He walks where he chooses.
4. He always orders the most expensive item on the menu.
5. She does not give her opinion unless she is asked to do so.
6. She tries to sell life insurance wherever she may happen to be.
7. His face gets red when he gets angry.
8. If he is asked to say a few words, he talks for hours.
9. Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
10. People are never so likely to settle a question rightly as when they discuss it freely.
For each of the following arguments,
a. Translate the argument into standard form.
b. Name the mood and figure of its .
c. Test its validity using the rules and mood. If it is valid, give its traditional name.
d. If it is invalid, name the fallacy it commits.
Since all knowledge comes from sensory impressions and since theres no sensory impression of substance itself, it follows logically that there is no knowledge of substance.
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
(New York: Bantam, 1975)
a. Standard-form translation:
No things derived from sensory impressions are items of knowledge of substance itself.
All items of knowledge are things derived from sensory impressions.
Therefore, no items of knowledge are items of knowledge of substance itself.
b. Mood and figure: EAE1
c. Valid; Celarent
2. no names come in contradictory pairs; but all predicables come in contradictory pairs; therefore no name is a predicable.
Peter Thomas Geach, Reference and Generality
(Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1980)
3. Barcelona Traction was unable to pay interest on its debts; bankrupt companies are unable to pay interest on their debts; therefore, Barcelona Traction must be bankrupt.
John Brooks, Annals of Finance, The New Yorker, 28 May 1979
4. Extremism in defense of liberty, or virtue, or whatever is always a vicebecause extremism is but another name for fanaticism which is a vice by definition.
Irving Kristol, The Environmentalist Crusade,
The , 16 December 1974
5. All syllogisms having two negative premises are invalid. Some valid syllogisms are sound. Therefore some unsound arguments are syllogisms having two negative premises.
6. Not all is gold that glitters, for some base metals glitter, and gold is not a base metal.
7. Where theres smoke theres fire, so theres no fire in the basement, because theres no smoke there.
8. It seems that mercy cannot be attributed to God. For mercy is a kind of sorrow, as Damascene says. But there is no sorrow in God; and therefore there is no mercy in Him.
Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, I, question 21, art. 3
9. because intense heat is nothing else but a particular kind of painful sensation; and pain cannot exist but in a perceiving being; it follows that no intense heat can really exist in an unperceiving corporeal substance.
George Berkeley, Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous,
in Opposition to Sceptics and Atheists, 1713
10. Only those who ignore the facts are likely to be mistaken. No one who is truly objective is likely to be mistaken. Hence no one who ignores the facts is truly objective.
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!
Essay Writing Service Features
Our ExperienceNo matter how complex your assignment is, we can find the right professional for your specific task. Nursing Area is an essay writing company that hires only the smartest minds to help you with your projects. Our expertise allows us to provide students with high-quality academic writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How Our Essay Writing Service Works
First, you will need to complete an order form. It's not difficult but, in case there is anything you find not to be clear, you may always call us so that we can guide you through it. On the order form, you will need to include some basic information concerning your order: subject, topic, number of pages, etc. We also encourage our clients to upload any relevant information or sources that will help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download